Lake District Events to Look Forward to in 2017
2017 is going to a year to remember in the Lake District and surrounding areas, as the events are never ending. From fantastic Festivals to grand performances, the variety and amount of events are brilliant and not to miss. Make your aims for the New Year to get out and about, and with so much beauty on your doorstep, take advantage of this and venture out.
February has a number of festivals happening. From 5th-7th a grand weekend of folk and roots music is rolling into Keswick. The lake will be ablaze with energy and inspiration where you can find fresh talent and artists as well as some familiar famous faces. And don’t worry, there will be plenty of opportunities to join in and pick up an instrument.
Other festivals include the Big Chillswim in Windermere and the famous Keswick Film festival; which are both not to miss events. Throughout January, there are also a number of Winter skills courses happening; so why not learn a new skill in the new year and learn how to take snow and weather readings.
Spring time is in bloom in the lakes with plenty of arts, festivals and music happening. Laura Ford is visiting from 11 March to 25 June in Kendal so we can witness the stunning sculptures. Words by the water festival is taking place through March also, giving people a wonderful 10 days where writers and readers gather together to share books, words and ideas.
Come get creative by the lakes and inspire yourself and others. Spring also sees the Festival of Food in Kendal as well as the world’s marmalade awards and festival. If you’re a fan of real ale while listening to wholesome music, maybe take a visit to Kirkby Lonsdale where the Beer and Music Festival is sweeping in, as well as the Cumbria Life Sausage Festival in Muncaster. Plenty more music is happening in the area, with Bowness Bay Blues event in Bowness on Windermere from 18-20th March.
As the weather is slowly getting better, more and more events are coming to the surface. We see the Appleby Horse Fair arrive in town, with no shortage of things to do and see. Keswick Beer Festival is a chance for you to try some fresh local cask ales and see some local music. Holker Garden Festival arrives from 3-5th June as well as the Great North Swim in Windermere (10-12 June) and the Cumberland County Show.
Other events include:
- Thursday 9 to Sunday 12 June: Boot Beer Festival
Sunday 19 June: Lakesman Triathlon – Keswick
- Friday 24 to Saturday 25 June: Woolfest – Cockermouth
- Saturday 9 to Sunday 10 July: Derwent Water Regatta – Keswick
- Saturday 23 July: Penrith Agricultural Show
- Sunday 24 July: Coniston Country Fair
- Tuesday 26 July: Ryedale Show
- Thursday 28 to Sunday 31 July: Kendal Calling – Lowther, near Penrith
- Friday 29 July to Sunday 31 July: Potfest in the Park – Hutton-in-the-Forest
- Saturday 30 July 2016: Cockermouth and District Agricultural Show
- Saturday 30 July to Friday 12 August: Lake District Summer Music International Festival
- Saturday 30 July to Wednesday 7 September: Lake Artists Society Summer Exhibition – Grasmere
- Wednesday 3 August: Cartmel Show
- Saturday 13 to Sunday 14 August: Lowther Show – Penrith
- Tuesday 23 August: Hawkshead Show
- Friday 26 to Sunday 28 August: Lakes Alive festival – Kendal
Of course there are many more events happening, these are but to name a few. The Lake District is a buzzing place to live and visit, as well as one of the most beautiful places on the planet. If you are interest in any of these events, and need somewhere to lay your head, what better place than a luxury self-catering cottage? Live your 2017 in style and get in touch with Millhouse Cottages on 01524 276 500. We are happy to help find you your perfectly located cottage with the facilities to suit you and your family or friends.